Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Prologue

This blog, as previously stated, is going to be a mix of rantings of a psycho with BDD and OCD (myself) as well as excerpts from my as of yet unfinished book. My book (which is about 30% done or so) is a collection of relevant stories to the culmination of my insanity and how I got to the point I'm at today. I intend to give readers a look into a rare mental illness: Body Dysmorphic Disorder, and it's entailing features.

Excerpts from my book will be in quotations, and unless stated otherwise, are direct quotes from me. I will cite sources where necessary, as a blind foray into a mental illness a large portion of the public is unaware of would be kind of silly. First and foremost, however, I would like to direct you to the extremely accurate wikipedia article on said subject: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_dysmorphic_disorder - these are all facts that are artfully constructed, and despite wikipedia's reputation for being incorrect, almost everything there is true, untwisted by opinions or bias.

So my intent with my book is to not offer an education; I am in no way "formally educated" on the subject, beyond my own reading and investigation. What I can offer, however, is something that is much harder to find than factoids: A human, first person perspective on this rare mental illness and my journey through recovery. My book of course also heavily deals with OCD and Hypochondria, as both of these illnesses appeared in my life much earlier than BDD, but BDD has been the prevalent source of my misery for many years now.

Once a week, I will post a video blog of me talking on the subject, probably Friday, methinks. We'll see. Sorry my blog is so ugly right now, by the way, that awful banner is something I made in like 2 minutes in Photoshop - I just wanted to get the blog up and running before I devote some serious time to making it look nice.

And so, without further ado...

3 comments:

  1. You, my friend, are not insane. You are anything but. You have some very debilitating illnesses, on which you have a lot of work to tackle, but your awareness & self awareness of your problems are just the tools that will allow you to do it.

    I was really moved & really impressed about your comment on the blanket when discussing the game console. You said something like "Im feeling so angry and I don't want to...you are trying to help" and numerous other things. You are going to beat this, as long as you continue to work with medical professionals and take your medications (as well as avoiding self-medicating like your father)

    I know it seems so big- just do a tiny improvement at a time. You have already helped so many with your appearance on hoarders, and you will help others with your book & blog too. Helping others was a big help with my own mental illnesses, which have been in remission for over 2 years :)

    Thanks again! I will be reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Diana - and you're right, I'm not insane =). I just like using the word as a shortcut, but thanks for pointing that out.

    Insanity is a funny concept - if one thinks they are insane, odds are they aren't! Insanity and self-awareness are enemies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're a good looking kid who is articulate and self-aware. That's already more gifts than most people have.

    Be well.

    ReplyDelete